Princess Cruises, in partnership with Condé Nast Traveler — one of the most respected magazines in travel — revealed that guests voted The Grand Canal of Venice as the “8th Cruise Wonder of the World.”
The announcement follows the 2015 “7 Cruise Wonders of the World,” which identified seven intriguing destinations, each spectacular in its own way, especially when arriving by cruise ship.
With more than 38,000 submissions, The Grand Canal of Venice received the most votes. And of those who submitted this destination, one lucky entrant — Steve Turner of Calabasas, California — was selected as the winner of a Princess cruise vacation.
“Of all the remarkable destinations on the planet, some of the most captivating are especially suited to visit while on a cruise,” said Jan Swartz, Princess Cruises president. “We were honored to partner with Condé Nast Traveler to present the ‘7 Cruise Wonders of the World’ showcasing some of the world’s most iconic destinations. From its piazzas to its palaces, Venice’s beauty is fully revealed through an arrival by cruise ship, offering a perfectly fitting introduction to the ‘8th Cruise Wonder of the World’ – the Grand Canal.”
There is no more memorable way to arrive in Venice than cruising through the Guidecca Canal on Princess’ small ship, Pacific Princess. Guests take in the sites of the entire city linked by meandering canals of waterways beckoning for immersive exploration. The landmarks of this UNESCO World Heritage Centre come into view, from the Byzantine spires of St. Mark’s Basilica to the mouth of the Grand Canal itself.
The Grand Canal of Venice joins the other Cruise Wonders of the World destinations including:
- Fiordland National Park, New Zealand – Sail into a world of surreal beauty, where the verdant flanks of snowcapped peaks plunge into the crystalline waters of ice-carved fjords.
- Panama Canal – Traverse the waterway that shaped the course of history by linking the two mightiest oceans on the planet in an engineering feat that remains breathtaking to this day.
- Shiretoko Peninsula, Japan – Embark on a magical tour that leads you through the wilds of Japan’s northernmost island, Hokkaido, where a variety of whales make their home, and the verdant coastline is nothing short of spectacular.
- Glacier Bay National Park, Alaska – Stunning glaciers, pristine waterways, and watching for wildlife are a few of the things you experience while slowly cruising through dazzling Glacier Bay National Park.
- Christ the Redeemer, Rio do Janeiro, Brazil – A South American icon high above the city with arms outstretched embraces all of the city’s citizens and visitors.
- Trunk Bay, St. John, U.S. Virgin Islands – White powder sand beaches, perfect clear water, and sunny climate; it’s the island idyll we all long for.
- Hagia Sofia, Istanbul, Turkey – This beautiful Byzantine cathedral (from 532 AD) hovers silently over its surroundings, as it has for the last 1500 years.